Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Ponderings on a can of worms

Well, I think I will open up a can of worms here. Lately I have been thinking about politics. For one thing, it seems there is so much to know that one can spend all of their time with it and I know that isn't something that I want to do. So, I probably err on the side of somewhat ignoring it. But what I have been pondering lately is whether or not it is good to be involved. There is part of me that doesn't want to have to answer to God for putting someone in office who didn't kill babies but who did ignore the poor and the widowed/orphaned as well as God's creation or the flip side, who tended to God's creation and the poor as well as widowed/orphaned but continued to kill His children. Both of them are wrong. Neither party seems to have a complete Biblical view. (I do realize that these are secular parties, but I still want to make decisions in a Godly manner based on His word.) So then, it leads me to consider not voting for either and instead asking God to put who He wants in leadership. But then, perhaps I will have to answer for sitting by and not making a difference through the opportunities given me. All that leaves me going in circles. Do I vote, do I not? If I do vote, who do I vote for? What grid do I run the candidate through to decide? Sometimes I feel like a handsoff approach is much easier, but I am not sure that is right either. hmmm....what do you think?

2 comments:

michelle said...

Exactly.

I definitely believe voting is important...who for is the tricky part.

The book I read, "God's Politics" had an interesting "solution" to this -- basically taking the best of each party and placing morality at the center of it. I'd so vote for that candidate...

Anonymous said...

God has both SELECTED and allowed ELECTION of leaders. These leaders have been responsible for their actions.
The best example (and most complicated) is David. He frequently made wrong choices, but was probably the best human example of a leader -because he consistently remained open to redirection to God's will.
Others of Israel's kings never showed any inclination to serve God. Their disobedience caused problems for themselves and those over whom they ruled…But…The process was in place for them to be gain the throne.
I feel our responsibility is to vote for those whose stated goals are most consistant with promoting the Kingdom of God.
So...
Is it more consistent with promoting the Kingdom to vote for someone who opposes killing the innocent or for someone who "neglects" the poor, widows and orphans?
For that matter, what is the extent of the neglect? With the current programs in place, there is ample opportunity for everyone to survive. Is that adequate, or must it be insured they have opportunity to prosper? Is it governmental or individual responsibility to provide for the poor, widows, and orphans? If they are not being provided for, is the failure of leadership or the failure of the Body?
So…
Vote or don’t?
Are we to actively select leaders or passively allow leaders to be selected by others?
If the reason we aren’t voting is to avoid making a wrong choice, it doesn’t make sense to me.
I suspect we are to take an active role at an individual level and would therefore say it is our responsibility to vote. If you can’t reconcile the choice of candidate with all of your beliefs, I believe you simply choose the person who best represents them.
As for which party, though I never want to think I vote for a party, I see the current leadership of the Democratic Party as antagonistic toward Christianity. Liberal politics in general is antagonistic and Democratic. That is not to say that all Democrats are liberal or that all liberals are Democrats, but the LEADERSHIP is, and is antagonistic toward Christianity.
But…
Since Christianity prospers under duress…
Well…
How do you like your worms?

Doug